Volunteer - Resident Engagement - Thrive Barnsley
Humankind’s Thrive Barnsley complex needs service supports anyone who is 25 or over and is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
Details of the role/tasks:
This is a new volunteer role for the service. We are looking for an individual to spend time with residents focused around cooking a meal on a budget to be shared as a household.
The volunteer would work with residents in identifying a suitable meal, create a shopping list within budget, buying the items, working with residents to prepare and make the meal and then share the meal as a group.
This is a great opportunity for people interested in nutrition, budgeting and social interaction.
Due to the existing timetable, this would need to take place on a Wednesday.
- Awareness and understanding of issues faced by people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness
- Able to engage people and build a good, professional relationship
- Confident communication skills
- Empathetic and non-judgemental
- Committed to the role and providing a support function to service users
- Able to work on own initiative
- Ability to carry out relevant administrative tasks
- Willingness to attend training, supervision and team meetings online and in person
- Able to work in line with Policy and Guidance
- Be able to manage sensitive information confidentially, seeking support where needed. Note volunteers have access to our Employee Assist Programme.
- We welcome applications from people with lived experience, in particular with experience of offending and/or homelessness
- Experience/interest in nutrition is preferred
Please read the full Job Description and Person Specification prior to applying for this position.
Please note that all communication regarding your application for this post will be sent to the email address you have provided on your application form, including your invite to interview if you are shortlisted. Ensure that you check your emails after the closing date as you will not be contacted by any other means.